The Last Supper


What happened at the Last Supper (Maundy Thursday)?

Christ celebrated the Jewish feast of the Passover with His disciples and He instituted the Eucharist (communion) and the New Covenant. God promised that we would get to know Him and love Him, that His law would be written in our hearts, that our sins would be forgiven and that we would be His loving children.

The bread and wine represents the body and blood of Christ which would be sacrificed for all mankind.

“And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me. In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.
 
We are no longer separated from Our Father.

The veil of sin which covers our understanding of God, also separates us from God and prevents us from being in the presence of God. When Christ died on the cross, the temple curtain which separated God from man was torn down the middle, allowing us to be in the presence of God forever. Whoever confesses their sins and agrees to never do them again and accepts Christ as their Redeemer will be forgiven by the Father and will be allowed to be in the presence of God for eternity. 
If we only knew the 'damage' that is done by sin in our lives, we would hate sin and stay as far as possible away from it. The choices we make when we sin, keep us away from God's love & blessings and keep us from living our life to its fullest. We desperately need Christ Our Savior to bring us back to be in union with Our Father in Heaven.

What else did Jesus say at the end of the Last Supper?
“(Father) I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them away from the evil one. They are not of this world, just as I am not of this world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth. I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me.”

"Maundy" means 'command' in Latin.
Here is Jesus' command to us: A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” (John 13:34-35).