Testing Ourselves


Psalm 26:1-8
1 Vindicate me, Lord, for I have led a blameless life; I have trusted in the Lord and have not faltered.
2 Test me, Lord, and try me, examine my heart and my mind;
3 for I have always been mindful of your unfailing love and have lived in reliance on your faithfulness.
4 I do not sit with the deceitful, nor do I associate with hypocrites.
5 I abhor the assembly of evildoers and refuse to sit with the wicked.
6 I wash my hands in innocence, and go about your altar, Lord,
7 proclaiming aloud your praise and telling of all your wonderful deeds.
8 Lord, I love the house where you live, the place where your glory dwells.

David is putting himself on trial before God. He appeals to the following (v1-2):
·      His constant awareness of God’s love and his need for God’s care (v3),
·      His resistance to sin and sinners (v4-5),
·      His innocence before God (v6),
·      His announcements to the world about God (v7),
·      His loving desire to be in God’s presence (v8).

Are we always aware of God?  His love? His attention? His personal care?

Do we realize how much we really need God? Do we fully trust in Him?
Do we really understand that without God we are nothing … we are lost … we are at the mercy of this imperfect world … we are at risk because the enemy wants to destroy us?

Do we resist temptation? (‘lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil’).
Do we look for God’s help when we are confronted with difficult situations?
Do we refuse to accept our own feelings of anger, hatred, revenge, impatience, etc. and instead handle all matters with the care and attention that only comes from God’s love.

Have we accepted Christ as our Savior? Are we innocent in God’s eyes because ALL of our sins have been paid for and washed away by Christ’s suffering, death and resurrection? Do we understand how much we need our Messiah? Without Him, we can do nothing!

Do we constantly tell others and share with them the wonderful things that God has done in our lives? Do we constantly remind ourselves of God’s blessings? Are we thankful? Are we full of joy? Do we show it?

Do we always acknowledge God’s presence and converse with Him as much as possible? Do we know He is always there for us? Do we really know God?

God is so patient and loving with us. Thank you Lord. Let’s close in prayer.